About Grand Village
In 1896, Itasca county officials realized a need for accommodating and supporting the long- term care needs of the poor of the community and surrounding areas. A facility known as the “Poor Farm” was constructed. This marked the beginning of Grand Village’s journey to offer compassionate, efficient and economical care to the people of Itasca County and the surrounding areas.
After 37 years of occupancy, a new space fit for the changing care needs of its residents, construction began in 1933 on a new facility known as the “Board and Care”.
In 1972, a new 52-bed nursing home known as “Itasca Nursing Home” was constructed and is still recognizable at its current site on Hale Lake Pointe. With ever changing needs of its residents and advances in healthcare, 1992 brought further expansion to Itasca Nursing Home with an additional 64 beds including 16 beds dedicated as a Special care Unit for those with memory impairment. There was also the additional dedicated space for a chapel and an activity center acknowledging that caring for spiritual and social needs was imperative to the quality of life of its residents.
In 2001, the original structure built in 1933 was demolished. Recognizing that there was a specific resident need for short-term rehabilitation care, Construction began on The Lodge unit in 2002.
On August 15, 2003, to distinguish that the care and services offered extend far beyond what people view as a typical “nursing home”, the name was officially changed to Grand Village.
Today, Grand Village provides Choices for Living on Hale Lake:
- The Lodge: Short-Term & Rehabilitation Center
- 35 private rooms offering rehabilitative care
- The Woods & Pines: Long-Term Care
- 52 beds in private or semi private rooms offering skilled nursing care
- The Waters: Memory Care
- 32 beds in private or semi private rooms offering specialized Alzheimer’s and Dementia care